To Our Nature School
TerraTime believes that every child is unique and competent, eager to learn, and comes equipped with a natural and wonder-filled curiosity about life.
By encouraging children’s love of learning, TerraTime Nature School strives to develop prepared, capable, confident, empathetic individuals who fulfill their unique design and are inspired to make a difference in the world.
Our Nature School provides a developmental, play-based, emergent curriculum where children’s ideas, inquiries, discoveries, and investigations are nurtured and implemented.
We believe that children learn best through exploration and hands-on learning, in an environment designed to safely provoke critical thinking, problem-solving, and risk-taking.
There is a growing body of research that shows that frequent play in nature-based, educational programs stimulate all of a child’s developmental domains, including their cognitive, creative, physical, social and emotional, and spiritual development.
We have designed a hybrid program with elements of Forest School, Reggio Emilia, and Waldorf approaches that contribute to our educational philosophy.
CHILDREN HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
Develop at his or her own rate
Take on responsibilities and build confidence
Play meaningfully alongside other children and adults
Develop effective communication skills
Persevere, problem-solve and take risks
Develop independence and celebrate both attempts and successes
Explore limits, boundaries, routines, and conflict resolution strategies
Practice fine motor skills such as threading, writing, cutting, and grasping
Develop creative expressions through painting, music, collage, movement, dance, painting, drawing, cutting, pasting, and story sharing
Develop early numeracy, literacy, and science skills
Learn techniques through trial and error
Develop gross motor skills through climbing, throwing, kicking, balancing, and lifting
Explore the world through experimenting, questioning, and curiosity
Develop a passion for learning and a love of life
Tuition is reflective of a 5-month program. The first term is from August-December and the second term is January-May. We will follow the Delaware Community School calendar as closely as possible.
Pre-K & Alternative Kindergarten Classes
4-6 years old
Monday-Thursday from 12-3 pm
Tuition: $1584 per term
Monday-Tuesday from 12-3 pm
Tuition: $864 per term
Wednesday-Thursday from 12-3 pm
Tuition: $864 per term
Friday Fun Day Classes
4-11 years old
Friday from 12-3 pm
Tuition: $432 per term ($24/week)
TUITION & FEES
Annual Enrollment Fee: $50 for each child
Deposit: There is a deposit of one month’s tuition due at the time of registration. This is credited towards last month’s tuition and is non-refundable.
Bulk Discount: A 5% discount is available for families who enroll more than one child, or has a child enrolled in more than one program.
Tuition is due July 20 for the first term and December 20 for the second term.
There are several important distinctions between TerraTime’s Nature School and a typical daycare, preschool, or public school.
1) Enrollment: TerraTime Nature School runs from August-May and is divided into two separate terms. If you want your child to attend the full school year, you will need to enroll in both terms.
2) Supplemental Learning: We are a private, license-exempt, certified Nature Explore classroom that provides learning opportunities in line with Indiana's School Readiness and Academic Standards. While our programs integrate academics and developmental goals, parents are responsible for compliance with the State's educational requirements for children over seven years old.
3) Emergent Curriculum: Emergent curriculum is based on the premise that children are most successful at learning when curriculum experiences account for their interests, strengths, and needs. Adults use observations of children throughout their day as a tool for constructing curriculum content. We prioritize active participation, relationship building, flexible and adaptable methods, inquiry, and play-based learning.
4) Mixed-age Classes: Studies show that mixed-age classrooms offer amazing benefits for children. These benefits include improved academic outcomes, social skills, emotional wellbeing, self-confidence, leadership skills, and learning at their own pace.
5) Consecutive Days: When possible, children attend on consecutive days. Consecutive days support continuity in routine for children enabling them to play and interact with the same friendship groups and resulting in better learning, development, and wellbeing outcomes.
6) Outdoor Clothing: Our programs run in all types of weather. Parents are responsible for providing appropriate clothing for their children. You can download a PDF of Required Clothing and Gear and Clothing Tips for Every Season to get a better idea of what your child will need.
If this sounds like a good fit for your child and family, these are your next steps:
You will receive the following parent resources:
Nature School Handbook
Daily Packing List
TT Nature School Q&A
Required Clothing & Gear
2022-2023 School Calendar
IN School Readiness Standards
IN Academic Standards
2) Ask Questions
After you review the information we send you, if you would like to pursue enrollment, we want to give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have and schedule a visit to our classroom.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or give us a call at 765-212-8521.
3) Visit our Classroom
Even though we are excited about TerraTime, we know that new parents and children are probably feeling a little anxious and unsure about what to expect. We understand TerraTime is doing something that no one else is doing in our area. Sometimes words are not enough to explain it--you just have to see it for yourself.
If your child has not attended a TerraTime program, we want to invite you to visit TerraTime. You will have the opportunity to see some of what we are excited about, ask questions, and get familiar with our outdoor classroom.
4) Complete Enrollment Forms & Submit Deposit
Ready to enroll your child? Once you complete the online registration forms and pay the registration fee, we will reserve a space for your child.
Applications to TerraTime Nature School will be accepted regardless of race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, handicap, political persuasion, national origin, or ancestry.